Ever wonder how to build a shelter in the woods? Come on out to this workshop to learn the basics of WILDERNESS SHELTERS.
Join us just outside Seattle on the flanks of Squak Mountain for a half-day informal workshop on outdoor skills. This day’s activities will focus on shelter building in the wilderness. We’ll learn the basic skills needed to stay warm while we work on building a functional shelter!
Depending on time, we’ll also discuss:
– Wild edible plants and fungi
– Useful wild plants (for tools, fire-making, weapons, shelter, etc)
– Friction fires (bowdrill)
– Natural fibers for basketry and cordage
– Finding clean water
– Medicinal Plants and natural first aid
– Maps and Navigation
– Geology and watershed dynamics
– Ecological basics
– Regional history
Lunch, water bottle, raingear and warm clothes, pocketknife, twine or cordage, notebook, comfortable walking shoes, and a backpack to carry it all. If you have a small saw or hatchet, bring it.